Skip to main content

Ham and Vegetables

This meal was simple to make and tasted delicious. I cooked ham steaks, stewed squash, black eyed peas with okra, sweet potato patties and cheesy cornbread. I will start with the vegetables.

Black Eyed Peas and Okra

I bought a bag of frozen peas and okra. You will need a pot. Add water into the pot and put your peas and okra. I added olive oil to the water to keep the peas from sticking to the pot. I seasoned the vegetables with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and some lawrys seasoning. Add as much as you like for taste. Cook until the peas and okra are soft.

Stewed Squash

I used frozen squash for this as well. You can use fresh or canned. I prefer fresh or frozen. Add water, olive oil or butter to your pan. You can add both olive oil and water. Next add your squash. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and probably lawrys seasoning. You can add chopped up onion and bacon for more flavor if you prefer. Make sure to add water as much as you need to keep the squash from getting greasy.

Sweet Potato Patties

I like the frozen sweet potato patties. They are quick and easy to cook when I don't want to use fresh sweet potatos. You will need a baking sheet. You can line your baking sheet with alumninim foil, shiny side down or use it without foil. Spray your baking sheet with cooking spray. If you so not have cooking spray you can use cooking oil or butter. Follow the baking directions on the package. Once the baking time is complete add cinnamon and sugar to the top of the sweet potato patties and bake for an additional five minutes or until the cinnamon and sugar has melted. You can add butter to the patties before adding cinnamon and sugar.

Cornbread

Usually I do not measure my ingredients when I make biscuits or cornbread. If you want to measure your cornmeal use two cups of cornmeal for a pan of cornbread. Add milk. I used buttermilk. I added three eggs, baking soda, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, lawrys seasoning, olive oil and shredded cheese. Before you began mixing your ingredients preheat your oven for 350. Bake your cornbread for 30 minutes or until the sides are golden brown.

Ham Steaks

I used precooked ham steaks. In a pan on the stove add some butter, brown sugar and soy sauce. Cook the ham steaks in the mixture. Happy cooking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Dressing Pasta Salad

One night when I made homemade pizza I decided I wanted to make an Italian Pasta too. Since I had left over ingredients from my pizza's it was super easy to put together.   I found a recipe I liked on Pinterest I will link below. I did not follow the measurements and left out some of the ingredients.  It turned out delicious!  Ingredients 1 Box Tri-Color Rotini.  Olive Oil. 1 Bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing. Mushrooms. Black Olives. Green Olives. Grape Tomatoes. Shredded Parmesan Cheese. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.  Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese. Shredded Colby Jack and Cheddar Cheese Blend.  Salt. Pepper.   Use the directions on the back of the Rotini box to cook your pasta. Add water to a pot and bring to a boil on the stove, you can add your pasta before the water begins to boil, I use a gas stove so I add my noodles before the water begins to boil. Add olive oil or vegetable oil to your water along with salt and pepper.  When your pasta is tender it is ready.  Let your past

Appetizers for Supper

Last night my Mama and I made appetizers for supper. Ever so often we like putting together a variety of finger foods for a quick and easy meal. In addition to a store bought already cooked rottisseri chicken, Mama cooked conecuh sausage and helped me put together ingredients for some simple appetizers I wanted to try. Instead of buying already made dips in a jar I decided to make two. Ranch Dip. You will need an 8oz container of sour cream (larger if feeding a lot of people.) and a packet of dry ranch ingredients usually found in the store with the salad dressing. Mix the two ingredients together and you have a great tasting ranch dip. I prefer it over premade. Onion Dip. Like the ranch dip I used two ingredients. One 8oz container of sour cream and one packet of Lipton Onion Recipe Soup and Dip Mix. Mix the two ingredients together. I preferred this over premade as well. Olives and Cheese. For this appetizer I used green olives with stuffed pimento, g

Cheese Stuffed Croissant Rolls and Marinara Sauce

I have made homemade marinara sauce a few times. It is easy to make. I do not measure my ingredients. I add as little or as much seasoning as I need to get the taste how I want it.  Tonight I added a few more ingredients than the previous times I made it. 1 can of diced tomatoes. Olive oil. Salt. Pepper. Oregano. Basil. Parsley. Italian Seasoning. Sugar. Cook on low heat until hot. Make sure to stir your sauce while it is cooking to keep it from sticking to the pot and boiling over.   Cheese stuffed croissant rolls are a favorite of mine to make.  I baked one batch with garlic butter sauce and one batch without. Garlic Butter Sauce. Melt one stick of margarine in the microwave for 1 minute or until melted. Next I add the following:  Olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and oregano. Add as much as you like until you get the flavor you want. Open your can of croissant rolls. I used Pillsbury brand. Lay them out on a baking sheet I like to cover my baking sheet with aluminum foil. The foil kee